Friday, September 14, 2012

How I became a Whovian....

Much of my time is spent with a hook and yarn in my hand and a cup of coffee at my elbow so having a netflix queue on demand is an extremely useful thing. At the beginning of the summer I went looking through netflix for a throw away show to watch in the background of my crochet and I stumbled upon Dr. Who. Most everyone has a Dr Who fan in their lives and I have several so I decided Dr Who was a good choice.
I started with the first season because you should always "start at the beginning and when you get to the end stop." It was NOT a throwaway show. It became a thing. Slight obsession! I watched it from season 1 to season 6 and all I could think about through the 5th season was starting over from the beginning. LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!
A little on David Tennant my newest celebrity crush (and since I only have celebrity crushes I should really appreciate them to their fullest).
An actor able to carry off Shakespeare and laugh at themselves at the same time was no surprise after Christopher Eccleston but David Tennant brought something rather incredible to the role. He has these expressive eyes that could have been in silent movies. His understanding of his strengths as an actor make him a pleasure to watch, especially when he's playing such a campy role as the Dr. has historically been. This new incarnation brings a new respect to Dr. Who and I believe we owe that to David Tennant as the Dr.  Thank you David Tennant. I forgive you for the role you played in that debacle that was the fourth Harry Potter Movie. :)
 
 

 
So here it is, the 7th season and I am decidedly a Whovian.










This strange obsession has led to a new one and I must say that I may love this show more than I love Dr. Who just because I have loved the material since I was a kid. But the writers of Dr. Who have a new labor of love and if you haven't seen it its a must. SHERLOCK!!!!!! Its incredible, treats the familiar material in such an amazing way and its not a new incarnation of Sherlock Holmes its the same one just in a different century.

I am chomping at the bit for the 3rd season of this show. As I look forward to a new Who tonight my thoughts will wander to 2013 and the new fantastic Sherlock

0 comments:

Post a Comment